Friday, February 7, 2014

An atempt to translate

For my "English only" speaking friends who often ask me what I've said in Spanish, I will like to try to translate the message, the meaning of one of my favorite spanish songs.  

Yesterday, I posted on fb, a self portrait from 1993.  It's a picture of my upper body "sandwiched" with another picture that has some of the words from Yuri's song "Así es la vida".  

The song says: "la vida es como una ruleta.  Donde nunca gana el que nunca juega.  Apuesta fuerte, sin arrepentirte.  Que si tú lo quieres, nada es imposible.  Así es la vida, tómala con calma.  Con filosofía, ponle buena cara. Que todo depende de tí.  Vívela..."

And now to the translation....  First off, the title.  Así es la vida.  Could be translated in so many different ways...  Here's a few:  That's how life is, That's life or Such is life.  If you are a pesimist or optimist, you will interpret it accordingly.  I personally don't like to think of it as "such is life" but others do.  Now to what the song says, life is like a game or a roulette where you do not win if you do not play.  Play hard, without regrets because nothing is impossible if you really want it.  That's how life is so you have to take it easy.  Put your best foot forward because it all depends on you.  Live it to the fullest.

Now you may ask, why does this song mean so much to me.  It reminds me (and I need reminders) that I only have one life, this life.  This is IT and I must live with all my might, enjoy as much as I can because even though I want to live forever, I still don't know when my time will be up.  

I first heard this song when I was 22 and since then, I realized how fragile life is.  I hope you enjoy your day to the most.  Today, I will take time to look up and enjoy my sun because even though it's still cold, the sun sun is in it's glory and it is beautiful.

Don't forget to smile

....before posting this, I went out and about with my favorite person.  As I was enjoying the view, enjoying the road, I looked at the sidewalk.  There he was, a westie on his walk with his mama.  Just to see those dogs put a smile on my face.   Can't complain.   Life is good!  Thank you Lord. 


Así es la vida



No comments:

Post a Comment